Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Tour with newer docents following

The second tour of yesterday's activities included two newer docents who were following me to view my version of an American tour. There was a large group of visitors who were receptive and followed me throughout the entire time. Additionally several other visitors to the Gallery joined in during the tour. I was actively sharing my thoughts and did not however ask the visitors many questions. It is as aspect that I have been grappling with for a while. Engaging visitors can be very satisfying for everybody and gives the docent a chance to judge the groups interests. There are several ways to do this and it entails carefully crafting the presentation to set up the questions. Viewers can be intimidated if they are not carefully led into the dialog process. My failure to use more queries yesterday could have been because there were the 2 newer docents following me. I am not sure. The American tour is one I like very much and we have many wonderful art objects to choose from for a well rounded presentation. The audience at the end of the tour was extremely appreciative and thanked me profusely. It seems that I am my worst critic.

No comments:

Post a Comment